This article has expired.
Links and information contained may not be accurate.
Celebrate Jam Week: 20th – 26th June 2011
By: Steve Ott
Clippy’s Apples Jam Week marks a festive celebration of ‘proper British Jam’ made using lovely juicy fruit and lip-smackingly delicious flavours! Jam Week is brought to you by Clippy’s Apples, the award winning home of British-apple based preserves.
Clippy’s Apples founder, Master Preserver Michelle McKenna (aka Clippy) has created some ‘pimped’ jam recipes to mark the occasion, including Raspberry Ripple Jam, Cheeky Chocolate & Banana Jam and Tutti Frutti.
Tutti Frutti Jam recipe
Season: June - July
Makes 6 200g jammy jars
450g (1lb) blackcurrants (stripped from stalks)
450g (1lb) raspberries (hulled)
450g (1lb) strawberries (hulled & halved if large)
50ml (2 fl oz) of water
1 kg (2lb & 3 oz) of sugar
3 tbsp of fresh squeezed lemon juice
· First place your jam jars in a pre-heated oven (130oC for 15minutes to sterilise the jars). Secondly make sure you have weighed all your ingredients & your equipment and utensils are ready.
· Put the blackcurrants and water into a preserving pan. Bring to the boil and then gently simmer the little beauties until the skins are soft approximately 5 minutes.
· Add the strawberries & raspberries (take care not to squash the raspberries when stirring) and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
· Add the sugar, stirring until it is all dissolved (if you do not dissolve the sugar before the final boil – you will get sugar crystals forming in the jam). Only add the sugar if the strawberries are soft.
· Add the lemon juice & bring to a rolling boil (102oC), your jam should be ready in 3 minutes. You can also test by doing the cold plate test or flake test...
· Once setting point is reached, remove any scum. Cool the jam for 5-10 minutes this will ensure that if there are any whole pieces of fruit that they will not float to the top of the jam jar when it is poured into the sterilised jars.
That’s it, you’ve done it - your very first Tutti Frutti Jam!
Pimp My Jam Competition – time to enter for a jam-tastic prize!
This year Jam Week has launched a fabulous competition that invites the nation to ‘Pimp My Jam’ and submit their own funky jam recipes to www.jamweek.org. The winner with the best ‘pimped’ jam recipe will get the chance to take part in Clippy’s ‘Preserving the Nation’ UK tour. Not only will they learn the tricks of the trade from Clippy herself at a Preserving Masterclass at Bristol’s prestigious Cookery School at Bordeaux Quay (www.bordeaux-quay.co.uk) but they will also be provided with an overnight stay at foodie hotel Brooks Boutique Guest House in Bristol and travel. The winner will be chosen by celebrity judge Amy Lamé - writer, TV and radio broadcaster, performer and lover of all things jammy!
With an orchard of opportunities Clippy is encouraging the nation to get in the kitchen, roll up those sleeves and get preserving! Clippy’s ‘Pimp My Jam’ recipes can be downloaded from www.jamweek.org.
Current Issue: June 2013
FREE: 2 PACKETS OF SEEDS WORTH £4.25!
♦ Guaranteed success with strawberries
♦ Handy watering gadgets reviewed
♦ We chat to TV's favourite gardener, Monty Don
♦ Revealed: top 20 easy-grow crops for your plot
♦ Toby Buckland's 9 must-grow vegetables
♦ Top container veg: 4-page guide inside
♦ Make more of garlic and broad beans
♦ Win a new Mantis tiller worth £559
• Next issue on sale: June 6, 2013