KG Reader Offers - April 2011
By: Web Editor
Get your season off to the best possible start with these money-saving offers –
exclusively from Kitchen Garden magazine.
This month: FREE* Five packets of squash seeds free for every reader - just £2.25 p&p... + LOADS MORE!!!
Five free packets of squash seeds free for every reader*
Grow bumper crops of summer courgette and autumn pumpkins and squash with this selection of seeds. These vegetables are so versatile they can be used in many dishes and are real store-cupboard favourites. Each selection includes one packet each of: Squashes 'Patty Pan' and 'Sweet Dumpling', pumpkin Jack Of All Trades, courgette 'Zucchini' and marrow 'Long Green Bush'. *Just pay a £2.25 p&p contribution.
Raspberry polka canes
An autumn fruiting primocane variety, raspberry 'Polka' has been found to provide a yield twice that of the popular 'Autumn Bliss'. The large berries are also extremely sweet. Each spine-free cane could produce up to 2.5kg (51⁄2lb) of fruit and the fruiting season lasts from July to October!
Primocane varieties also fruit in the first year, so planting now means you could be picking your first few fruits by late summer. A vigorous variety, they even crop well on poor soils!
Buy five canes of this special fruit for just £13.95, or save £5 when you buy 10 canes for just £22.90.
Delivery from within 28 days.
Barerooted fruit trees
These trees will be perfect for large patio containers for a number of years and so you can have your own fresh fruits even if space is limited! These trees are on a dwarfing rootstock) and are easy to grow and crop reliably.
We are offering three of the nation’s favourite fruiting varieties:
• Apple 'Braeburn'- the top-selling choice on supermarket shelves. Harvest the fruits in October and they will store well until March. A crisp and tangy flavour.
• Plum 'Victoria' – this fruit-tree is a must-have, the yellow-fleshed fruits are best eaten fresh-although the surplus are almost as good cooked.
• Pear ‘Conference' – a reliable cropper of large, sweet juicy fruits. Simply mouth-watering.
One tree is available for just £19.95 or buy all three for just £39.90 – that’s three trees for the price of two!
Very strong growing plants producing masses of extremely sweet and very large dessert fruits at the end of June. Great for all kinds of desserts but sweet enough to eat straight from the bush. Bushes are open and virtually spine free making for easy-picking. Certainly one of the most important introductions of recent years.
Buy one plant for £9.95 or save £4 when you buy 2 for just £15.90.
French strawberry collection
If you’re looking for something a little different then why not try this selection of French-bred strawberries. The collection includes: strawberry ‘Mara des Bois’ which combines the rich flavour of wild strawberries with the size of more modern types; strawberry ‘Gariguette’ which is highly perfumed and packed full of flavour; and strawberry ‘Combaille’ which gives large fruits up to 26g (nearly 1oz).
The collection costs just £15.95 or save £5 when you buy a double collection for just £26.90.
Garden spray Chrysanthemums
These incredible chrysanthemums are perfect for the novice and more experienced grower alike. Tough enough to withstand milder winters out-of-doors, they reward with impressive spray flowers in late summer and autumn. Perfect for garden, vase and even the show bench!
Buy 5 plants for just £8.95, buy 10 plants for £13.90 or buy a bumper 20 plants for £22.80 and save up to £13.00.
Delivery from mid-May.
Asparagus pacific purple
This New Zealand-bred, purple speared, mid-season variety is sweeter and more tender than the green types plus contains extra antioxidants. Easy to grow, within just a few seasons from planting you will be rewarded with tasty spears that are tender enough to be eaten raw. An asparagus bed can remain highly productive for up to 20 years and just 10 planting crowns can yield 100’s of spears per season.
Buy 10 crowns of asparagus 'Pacific Purple' for just £15.95 or save £5 when you buy 20 crowns for just £26.90
Our collection includes:
• 'Excellenz' (pictured) – a top D T Brown choice with good flavour and well-filled pods (first early variety)
• 'Onward' – this old fashioned ‘marrowfat’ is still regarded as one of the best (maincrop)
• 'Oregon Sugar Pod' – offering high yields of sweet and delicious pods (mangetout)
• 'Calibra' – these small super sweet peas. A real summer delight. (petit pois)
• 'Sugar Ann' – Produces fleshy pale green pods with a great flavour. Perfect for eating raw (sugar snap type).
The collection (one packet of each) costs just £6.55 saving you £2 on the normal list prices.
Carrot family seeds
Grow all the members of the carrot family with this collection. It includes: carrots 'Paris Market Atlas' and 'Sugarsnax', celery 'Octavius', celeriac ‘Brilliant', fennel 'Tauro', dill, coriander, plain-leaved parsley and parsnip 'Tender and True'.
Buy the collection for just £7.41 and save £4 on the normal RRP.
This selection of two varieties will ensure that you are supplied for eight months of the year with this delicious and versatile vegetable. Both varieties have the ability to stand in the ground for many months and can be lifted in the summer as baby veg. The first variety, ‘Carlton F1’ is ready from August and will stand until October while ‘Sultan F1’ (below) takes over in November and its slender, dense shanks can be pulled right through to March.
Buy 60 module grown plants, 30 of each variety for just £9.95.
Delivery from May 2011.
Club root resistant brassicas
Club root has proven a problem for many us who have tried growing brassicas in the past and one way to avoid it or indeed simply help you cut down on your use of protective sprays is by growing varieties which show a natural resistance to club root scourge. This collection of four club-root resistant varieties includes:
• Brussels sprout 'Crispus' – an early to mid season hybrid with dark green buttons standing in good condition upon tall stems for several weeks.
• Cabbage 'Kilaton' – large, densely heated ball-head with a lovely texture and flavour.
• Cabbage 'Kilazol' – an autumn-cropping ball-head bred with improved club root resistance in mind.
• Cauliflower 'Clapton' – heavy and dense late summer and autumn cauliflowers of superb quality
Buy 20 plants for just £8.95 or buy 40 plants for just £14.90 and save £3.
Delivery from May 2011.
If you are looking to buy just one tomato variety this season then ‘Sakura’ must rate as one of the top choices. Grown outside they will produce masses of round sweet fruits upon long trusses. This cherry type also shows a good natural resistance to disease.
Buy 5 plants for just £8.95 or save £4 when you buy 10 plants for just £13.90.
Delivery from late April 2011.
Hot & sweet peppers
• Pepper 'Fuego' (pictured) – vigorous plants produce long and fleshy cone-shaped, dark-green fruits which ripen to fiery red (hot).
• Pepper 'Antohi Romanian' – perfect for patio containers, the sweet pimento-type fruits ripen from pale yellow to red (sweet).
Buy 5 plants of either pepper 'Fuego' or 'Antohi Romanian' for just £8.95. Buy both (10 plants) for £13.90 and save £4.
Delivery from late April 2011.
0 Responses to “KG Reader Offers - April 2011”
Please login or register to post a comment
Current Issue: June 2013
FREE: 2 PACKETS OF SEEDS WORTH £4.25!
♦ Guaranteed success with strawberries
♦ Handy watering gadgets reviewed
♦ We chat to TV's favourite gardener, Monty Don
♦ Revealed: top 20 easy-grow crops for your plot
♦ Toby Buckland's 9 must-grow vegetables
♦ Top container veg: 4-page guide inside
♦ Make more of garlic and broad beans
♦ Win a new Mantis tiller worth £559
• Next issue on sale: June 6, 2013