Vegan Veg - Recipe: Quinoa, coffee and banana pie
By: Richard Morris
So, we know it’s good for us, (after all, in addition to being a complete protein, quinoa is packed full of essential minerals such as magnesium and iron. It’s also high in vitamin B2) but what do we do with it?
In the UK, quinoa is generally only seen as a grain but quinoa flakes and quinoa flour are also available. Quinoa is also gluten free, so is ideal for people with a wheat intolerance. It’s extremely versatile. Boiled for 15 minutes, it can be served as an alternative to rice or potatoes. It’s often seen in salads and pilafs. Quinoa flour can be used to make flatbreads but it can just as easily be used to make sweet stuff which can help dispense with its somewhat ‘worthy’ image.
For the base
❯ 150g biscuits of your choice (I use ginger nuts)
❯ 75g vegetable margarine, melted
For the date ‘toffee’
❯ 75g dates, chopped finely
❯ 150ml soya milk
❯ 2 tsps agave syrup
For the quinoa and coffee mix
❯ 50g quinoa
❯ 300ml soya milk
❯ 3 tsp sugar
❯ 1 tsp instant coffee
❯ ½ tsp vanilla extract
❯ 1 banana, sliced
❯ Cocoa powder, for dusting
1. Put the dates to soak in the 150ml soya milk for at least 30 minutes.
2. Put the biscuits in a plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin until fine.
3. Mix the biscuit crumbs with the margarine, then use to line the base of a shallow pie dish.
4. Place in the fridge to set.
5. Boil the quinoa in half the soya milk.
6. When all the soya milk has been absorbed, beat in the remaining soya milk, then simmer for another five minutes.
7. Mix in the sugar, coffee powder and vanilla extract until dissolved then remove from the heat and leave to cool.
8. Return to the soaked dates. Put them (with the milk they have been soaking in) into a blender with the agave syrup and blend until smooth, then leave to cool.
9. Arrange the sliced banana over the biscuit base, then spoon the date mixture over the top.
10. Spread the quinoa mixture over the top of this, then dust with cocoa powder.
11. Chill for at least one hour in the fridge before serving.
0 Responses to “Vegan Veg - Recipe: Quinoa, coffee and banana pie”
Please login or register to post a comment
Current Issue: June 2013
FREE: 2 PACKETS OF SEEDS WORTH £4.25!
♦ Guaranteed success with strawberries
♦ Handy watering gadgets reviewed
♦ We chat to TV's favourite gardener, Monty Don
♦ Revealed: top 20 easy-grow crops for your plot
♦ Toby Buckland's 9 must-grow vegetables
♦ Top container veg: 4-page guide inside
♦ Make more of garlic and broad beans
♦ Win a new Mantis tiller worth £559
• Next issue on sale: June 6, 2013