Vegan Veg - Recipe: Raspberry ice cream
By: Richard Morris
Though the piles of produce on the kitchen step are reducing, there’s still plenty turning up for processing. The apple press has been brushed and oiled for duty and the freezer in the garage is packed full of processed fruit and veg for the winter ahead.
Our first decent medlar crop will be picked and left to blet this month – more on that next time. But one taste of summer clings on; the raspberries are having their last hurrah and their tartness and glorious colour just begs to be turned into the last ice cream of the season. Although an ice cream machine is a fantastic tool, and I wouldn’t be without mine, it’s easy enough to get great home-made stuff with patience and application. I’m still working on the secret of ‘soft scoop’, so you’ll have to transfer your ice cream from the freezer to the fridge about an hour before you’re going to need it.
Raspberry ice cream
Makes 1 litre
350g (12oz) raspberries
100g (4oz) caster sugar
100ml (3½fl oz) water
500ml (1pt) soya custard (available from supermarkets and health food shops)
300ml (½pt) soya whipping cream (available from health food shops and some supermarkets)
To garnish: extra raspberries, biscuits/wafers or dark chocolate (the true friend of the raspberry)
1. Chill the custard and whipping cream.
2. Put the raspberries, caster sugar and water into a saucepan.
3. Bring to the boil, stirring constantly until the sugar is dissolved.
4. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
5. Remove from heat, allow to cool. If you have time, chill the puree.
6. If using a machine, combine the ingredients in it for the time suggested by the manufacturer. When finished, transfer to freezer and go to step 9.
7. If not using a machine, mix the ingredients together well and pour into a plastic freezer tub.
8. Every hour, remove from the freezer and run a fork through the mix to prevent ice crystals from forming. Continue doing so until the ice cream is frozen; this should take 6-8 hours.
9. Remove from the freezer about 1 hour before you wish to serve.
10. The ice cream should keep for a couple of weeks in the freezer.
0 Responses to “Vegan Veg - Recipe: Raspberry ice cream”
Please login or register to post a comment
Current Issue: July 2013
FREE: 2 PACKETS OF SEEDS WORTH £2.35!
♦ Perfect peas every time ♦ Grow delicious cherries
♦ Crop growing fun at the Chelsea Flower Show
♦ Free summer seed collection worth £10
♦ Win garden goodies worth £2592
♦ Discover how James Martin grows his own ingredients
♦ Sow now for late summer harvests
♦ Ideas for your veg plot ♦ How to build a raised bed
• Next issue on sale: July 4, 2013