MAKES 4 JARS
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine.
Click here to subscribe & save.
Cooking time: 30 minutes
• 1.5kg fresh beetroot
• 1 cinnamon stick
• 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
• ½ tsp whole cloves
• 1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
• 1 tsp whole allspice
• 3 bay leaves
• 3 tbsp caster sugar
• 1 litre distilled malt vinegar
• 4 x wide-necked jars, sterilised
1. Make the spiced vinegar: put the spices, sugar and 300ml of the vinegar in a pan. Bring to the boil slowly, then take it off the heat and leave covered overnight.
2. Wash the beetroot carefully without rubbing the skin off. Put them into a large pan of boiling water and simmer for about 30 minutes until just tender. Drain and leave to cool.
3. Rub off the beetroot skin, then slice the roots (about 1cm/½in thick) and pack into jars. Pour in the vinegar and spices. Cover, seal and label. Leave a week before eating.
4. Store for 3-6 months.Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
Enter your e-mail address below to see a free digital back issue of Kitchen Garden Magazine and get regular updates straight to your inbox…
You can unsubscribe at any time.
About the Author
- A tomato update - 16th June 2022
- A weekend of discovery unearthing London’s hidden gems by foot or bike - 6th June 2022
- Create your own tiny tray allotment this Children’s Gardening Week - 24th May 2022