MAKES 4 JARS
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
• 1.5kg fresh beetroot
• 1 cinnamon stick
• 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
• ½ tsp whole cloves
• 1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
• 1 tsp whole allspice
• 3 bay leaves
• 3 tbsp caster sugar
• 1 litre distilled malt vinegar
• 4 x wide-necked jars, sterilised
1. Make the spiced vinegar: put the spices, sugar and 300ml of the vinegar in a pan. Bring to the boil slowly, then take it off the heat and leave covered overnight.
2. Wash the beetroot carefully without rubbing the skin off. Put them into a large pan of boiling water and simmer for about 30 minutes until just tender. Drain and leave to cool.
3. Rub off the beetroot skin, then slice the roots (about 1cm/½in thick) and pack into jars. Pour in the vinegar and spices. Cover, seal and label. Leave a week before eating.
4. Store for 3-6 months.Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
You can unsubscribe at any time.
About the Author
- Heligan celebrates natural Wellbeing Week - 17th June 2021
- JOIN THE BIG BUTTERFLY COUNT - 11th June 2021
- WATER SAVING WEEK MAY 17-22 2021: Save water and upgrade your houseplant carE - 11th June 2021