Visitors to Leonardslee Lakes and Gardens near Horsham West Sussex can enjoy a summer afternoon of live music, spectacular aerial performances, street theatre, a funfair and food and drink, says estate manager Adam Streeter, and explore a mile-long trail that weaves a spellbinding tale of magic with mystical creatures.
There will also be a market with arts and crafts, fashion, and other entertainment – unicorns for children to ride and workshops to take part in including a circus performance and making rhino horns and dream catchers.
The event is over six days this summer, from July 30th to August 1st, and then from August 6th to 8th, from 3:30 pm to 8 pm, and is a great summer day out for young and old alike. Ticket prices and booking details are available at www.enchantedleonardslee.co.uk.
Enchanted Leonardslee follows the success of Leonardslee Illuminated in the winter of 2020. Estate manager Adam Streeter says:-
“We’ve remained open throughout the lockdown and have planned a programme of fantastic new events and family days out for this summer and autumn, including Enchanted Leonardslee. At just over a mile long, visitors will explore the magical trail through the beautiful woods, with its magnificent lakes, music and theatrical performances and spectacular visual and sound installations.
“Summer is always busy for us as the gardens are in full bloom. Visitors love to spot the carp basking in the lakes, dragonflies, butterflies and Kingfishers. Enchanted Leonardslee brings it all together in a festival of sights and sounds.”
Entertainment for Enchanted Leonardslee will include a 15-minute interactive show with giant puppet Gnomus, Guardian of Leonardslee Woods. Also, there will be street food and drink stalls with artisan beer and gin, champagne and wine bars. The boutique market includes art, fashion, jewellery, artisan food, homeware and gardening stands, as well as children’s clothing, toys and games.
Live music for Leonardslee Enchanted will include:
- Violet Jive, a retro swing and Latin sound band with an alternative fresh twist;
- The Woodcutters, an acoustic duo with super tight harmonies, top-notch guitar playing and a set list of great songs;
- Harry’s Tricks, a three-piece band playing happy and romantic jazz and swing.
- Fruitful Soundsystem with uplifting, positive and inspirational reggae, disco, dance and soul from an all vinyl sound system;
- De Fuego, an award-winning Spanish guitar duo playing energetic instrumental Spanish flamenco and rumba music;
- Swing Ninjas, incredible upbeat vocal-led swing band mixing New Orleans and Parisian swing from the 20s, 30s and 40s;
- The Scorchers playing a mix of Jamaican Ska, Reggae, Rocksteady and Two-Tone classics.
The 240-acre Grade I Listed estate was created by the Loder family, great Victorian plant collectors, who collected trees and shrubs from all over the world. The collection is exceptional in its diversity and maturity, with rare ‘champion’ trees, threatened in their natural habitat. There is an acclaimed Pulham rock garden built in 1890, as well as a deer park and a colony of wallabies wandering the estate.
Leonardslee offers a family day out in Sussex, with the Dolls House Museum exhibition depicting the Edwardian era estate and neighbouring villages at 1:12 scale. The mansion features classic afternoon tea and Restaurant Interlude, which was awarded a second Michelin Star last year.
There is a cafe and shops, with a range of gardening and gift items, including award-winning wines from the owner’s vineyard, Benguela Cove Lagoon Wine Estate, South Africa.
For further information: www.enchantedleonardslee.co.uk
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
You can unsubscribe at any time.
About the Author
- JOIN THE BIG BUTTERFLY COUNT - 11th June 2021
- WATER SAVING WEEK MAY 17-22 2021: Save water and upgrade your houseplant carE - 11th June 2021
- WEST DEAN WILD DENS OPEN IN TIME FOR HALF TERM - 24th May 2021