Baysgarth Park in Barton has received top recognition as Keep Britain Tidy gives it the prestigious Green Flag Award
Baysgarth Park joins Central Park, Woodlands Memorial Park and Kingsway Gardens in Scunthorpe who have retained their Green Flags this year.
The international Green Flag Award scheme recognises the best parks and green spaces in the country. A Green Flag is a sign to the public that the space boasts the highest possible environmental standards, is beautifully maintained and has excellent facilities for visitors.
Baysgarth Park has undergone a transformation in the last year. The council has worked with Scunthorpe Samaritans to create the Chad Varah Memorial Garden, named after the founder of the Samaritans. The garden was officially opened on Saturday 14 July by Chad Varah’s daughter Felicity Varah-Harding. It includes attractive flower beds and seating, and the garden has an ‘S’ shaped path running through it.
Other attributes that make Baysgarth Park great include:
• A new two-metre wide footpath around the perimeter of the park of the northern section of the park
• Pedestrian entrances upgraded for disability access in the northern section of the park
• New signs to welcome visitors to the park
• Site plans with information about the history of the park, its facilities and natural features, including its ancient trees
• Wildlife information boards informing visitors of the interesting wildlife to be seen in the park
Cllr Ralph Ogg, cabinet member for Safer, Greener, Cleaner Places at North Lincolnshire Council, said:
“The ground maintenance team work tirelessly to keep North Lincolnshire’s parks looking their best all year round. It is credit to them that we have been awarded the Green Flag Award for another of our beautiful parks – Baysgarth.
“In the last two years, the council has invested over £300,000 in our green spaces so it is great to see our improvements recognised. It forms part of the council’s plans to position North Lincolnshire as a high quality destination.
“Baysgarth and all our parks provide great areas of green space where people can visit and spend time there, soak up the tranquil surroundings, enjoy the wildlife and while away time.
“With attractive flower displays, footpaths so people can walk and the latest addition of the new Chad Varah Memorial Garden at Baysgarth Park, people will be spoilt for choice over which park to visit! One thing is clear, they all show that North Lincolnshire is a great place to live, work, visit and invest.”
If you would be interested in joining a ‘Friends of’ group and helping to shape the future of North Lincolnshire’s green spaces, please get in touch on 01724 297775 or email email@example.com.
To find out more about the Green Flag Award Scheme, visit http://www.greenflagaward.org.uk/Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
You can unsubscribe at any time.
About the Author
- DAZZLING DAHLIAS AT HELIGAN - 13th August 2021
- National Allotments Week 2021 9 to 15 August - 9th August 2021
- Create a log pile for stag beetles and other wildlife - 21st June 2021