A bright and fresh dish using vibrant watercress and red peppers. Risotto is surprisingly simple to make, but the secret is to keep stirring
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine.
Click here to subscribe & save.
Cooking time: 35 minutes
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 1 clove garlic, chopped
• 400g/1lb risotto rice
• 150ml/5fl oz vegetarian dry white wine
• 750ml/26fl oz hot vegetable stock
• 1 red pepper, chopped
• 4-5 mushrooms, sliced
• 100g/3½oz watercress, roughly chopped
• 50g/2oz vegetarian Parmesan-style cheese, grated
1. Heat the oil in a large heavy pan, add the onion and sauté for four minutes until soft but not coloured. Add the garlic and rice and cook for one more minute, while stirring.
2. Next add the white wine and cook, stirring for two to three minutes until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
3. Add a ladle of the stock and cook for two to three minutes, gently stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, until the liquid has been absorbed. Repeat until you have just a little stock left and the rice is almost tender.
4. Add the remaining stock, mushrooms and red pepper. Cook until the rice is soft and creamy. Remove from the heat. Add the watercress and cheese, then season to taste.
5. Serve straight away.Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
Enter your e-mail address below to see a free digital back issue of Kitchen Garden Magazine and get regular updates straight to your inbox…
You can unsubscribe at any time.