Creamy, sweet and savoury, this is a comfort food that will warm you up on a cold winter night.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 1 large butternut squash
• 1 tsp sea salt
• Large knob of butter
• A large bunch of sage
• 3 cloves of garlic, minced
• 1 onion, chopped
• 1 bunch of kale
• 1 packet of lasagne pasta
• 150g (6oz) mozzarella cheese, grated
FOR THE WHITE SAUCE:
• 750ml (1¼ pint) milk
• 85g (3oz) butter
• 1 bay leaf
• 85g (3oz) plain flour
• ¼ tsp pepper, ground
• ¾ tsp nutmeg, ground
1. Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Grease a lasagne dish, set aside.
2. Split and de-seed the butternut squash. Drizzle 1 tbsp olive oil over and place in a baking dish together with the garlic. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, heat the butter in a frying pan, and add the sage. Cook until crisp. Set aside.
4. Once the butternut squash is cooked, scrape the flesh from the skin and discard skin. Using a potato masher, mash the garlic and butternut squash together with the buttery sage. Set aside.
5. Heat the remaining olive oil in the frying pan, and fry the onions until soft, then add the kale; let it wilt for 5 minutes.
6. In a small pan, melt the butter, stir in the plain flour, then cook for 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in the milk and add the bay leaf, then bring to the boil, stirring. Turn down heat, then cook until the sauce starts to thicken and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from heat. Set aside.
7. In the prepared lasagne dish spread a little white sauce on the bottom. Add a layer of lasagne pasta, then spread a layer of butternut squash mixture over. Add more pasta, then add a layer of kale. Continue until you don’t have any mixtures left. Top it off with a final layer of pasta, pour over the sauce, and add the cheese.
8. Cover with foil taking care not to touch the surface of the lasagne with the foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and let the cheese brown for 2-3 minutes.
9. ServeEnjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
You can unsubscribe at any time.