With the juiciness of ripe pears and delicious crunch of muesli, these wonderful muffins make a wholesome treat.
MAKES 12 MUFFINS
Preparation time: 20 minutes | Cooking time: 25 minutes
• 80g (3oz) brown sugar
• 80g (3oz) granulated sugar
• 100g (4oz) unsalted butter, softened
• 2 large eggs
• 125g (5oz) plain flour
• 80g (3oz) wholewheat flour
• 50g (2oz) muesli, plus extra for the tops
• 2 tsp baking powder
• 2 tsp ground cinnamon
• ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
• ½ tsp salt
• 100ml (3½fl oz) milk
• 2 pears, grated
1. Heat your oven to 170C/fan 160C/gas mark 4. Line a muffin tin with liners, and set aside.
2. Using a hand mixer, cream together the sugars and the softened butter until pale.
3. Mix in the eggs, one at a time until fully incorporated, about 1 minute each.
4. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, muesli, baking powder, spices, and salt.
5. With the mixer on low speed, mix 1/3 of the flour mixture into the buttersugar mixture followed by 1/3 of the milk. Continue alternating between the flour and the milk, mixing until the flour is incorporated. Do not overmix.
6. Add the grated pears and fold in.
7. Divide the batter between the muffin cups and sprinkle a little extra muesli on to each muffin.
8. Place the muffin tin in the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. The muffins are done when the tops look cracked and toasted, and when a toothpick inserted in the middle of one of the muffins comes out clean.
9. Let the muffins cool enough to handle, then transfer them to a wire rack to finish cooling.Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
You can unsubscribe at any time.
About the Author
- DAZZLING DAHLIAS AT HELIGAN - 13th August 2021
- National Allotments Week 2021 9 to 15 August - 9th August 2021
- Create a log pile for stag beetles and other wildlife - 21st June 2021