Salads aren’t just for summer, you can get very creative experimenting with your winter veg too.
This warm fragrant salad of cauliflower takes its inspiration from Sicily, and is lovely served for lunch or as a side dish.
Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine.
Click here to subscribe & save.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: I hour 30 minutes
• 1 medium cauliflower
• 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for roasting and frying
• 25g/1oz golden raisins
• 1 small onion, finely sliced
• 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
• ½ tsp smoked paprika
• 1 tbsp capers, rinsed
• 30g/1oz flaked almonds
• 1 tbsp roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley
• ½ lemon, juice of or 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/gas mark 6.
2. Remove all the leaves from the cauliflower and cut out some of the core (this will cut down on the cooking time).
3. Put into a small roasting-tin and brush the cauliflower with a little olive oil. Add just enough water to surround the very base of the cauliflower. Roast for between one hour and an hour and 20 minutes, or until tender.
4. Meanwhile, cover the raisins with boiling water in a small bowl. Leave to soak until the cauliflower is roasted. Then drain, and add to a bowl together with the capers, parsley, lemon juice or balsamic and two tablespoons of olive oil. Mix well.
5. Cook the onions in a little oil over a medium heat until golden, then add the garlic and paprika and cook for two minutes over a gentle heat.
6. When the cauliflower is cooked, remove from the oven and gently break it into florets, add it to the bowl with the oil and raisins, mix well to coat.
7. Transfer the cauliflower to a serving dish, and layer on the onion mixture and top with almonds.Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
Enter your e-mail address below to see a free digital back issue of Kitchen Garden Magazine and get regular updates straight to your inbox…
You can unsubscribe at any time.