This speedy salad can be whipped up as an impressive starter for your guests over the festive period.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
• 250g/9oz beetroot
• 1 apple, sliced
• 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
• 100g/3½oz mixed leaves
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 1 tsp honey
• 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
• 3 tbsp chopped dill, plus extra to garnish
1. Wash the beets gently, making sure that you don’t tear the skins, then place in a pan of warm water, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer until tender – around 20-30 minutes. Once cooled, remove the skins, and slice.
2. Arrange the sliced beetroot, apple and leaves on a platter or four serving plates. Tear the salmon into wide strips and arrange on top.
3. Using a fork, whisk together the reserved 1 tbsp vinegar, olive oil, honey, mustard and chopped dill. Spoon the dressing over the salad, scatter over a few extra sprigs of dill and grind over some black pepper to serve.Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.