These Tex-Mex burritos are delicious, filled with beans, rice and plenty of hot chilli.
Preparation time: 20 minutes | Cooking time: 20 minutes
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1 small onion, finely chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 medium green bell pepper, finely diced
• 400g/14oz cooked pinto beans, black beans or kidney beans
• 2 to 4 tbsp fresh coriander, to taste
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• 100ml/3½fl oz stock
• 200g/7oz cooked rice
• 6 flour tortillas
• 100g/3½oz cup Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
• 1 small jar of salsa
• Lettuce, shredded
• Salt to taste
1. Heat the oil in a medium skillet. Add the onion and sauté over medium-low heat until it is translucent.
2. Add the garlic and sauté for another minute before adding the green pepper. Continue to sauté until the onion is lightly golden.
3. Add the beans along with the coriander, cumin, chilli and the stock.
4. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
5. With a masher, roughly mash the bean mixture. Set aside.
6. To assemble, spoon some bean mixture and a few spoonfuls of rice on to each tortilla. Top with lettuce and sprinkle with some grated cheese and a spoonful of salsa. Fold two sides over the filling, then roll tortillas up snugly.
7. Serve at once.Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
You can unsubscribe at any time.
About the Author
- Create a log pile for stag beetles and other wildlife - 21st June 2021
- JOIN THE BIG BUTTERFLY COUNT - 11th June 2021
- WATER SAVING WEEK MAY 17-22 2021: Save water and upgrade your houseplant carE - 11th June 2021