With today’s gluten-free flours, no-one has to miss out on the enjoyment of freshly baked bread.
Try this focaccia, stuffed with whole garlic cloves and sea salt.
Preparation time: 35 minutes
Proving and cooking time: 2 hours
• 2 egg whites
• 6 tbsp oil
• 1 tsp vinegar
• 2 tbsp sugar
• 1 tsp salt plus extra for the top
• 400ml/14fl oz water
• 500g/17oz gluten-free white bread flour (we used Doves)
• 2 tsp quick yeast
• 9 cloves of garlic
• ½ lemon, juice of
• 1 tbsp olive oil
1. Put the egg whites, half of the oil, vinegar, sugar, salt and water into a bowl and whisk well.
2. Add the flour and yeast, mixing to a smooth, thick batter.
3. Pour the remaining oil over the dough and mix with a spoon. The dough will be very soft.
4. Tip the dough into a square brownie tin lined with baking paper.
5. Loosely cover with a dish cloth and leave until the dough has risen to the top of the tin.
6. Once risen, stick the whole garlic cloves into the dough, drizzle with oil and lemon, and sprinkle salt over the top.
7. Bake in a preheated oven at 220C/fan 200C/Gas 7 for 55/60 minutes.Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
About the Author
- RECIPES TO Celebrate British Food Fortnight - 25th September 2020
- VISIT THE FIRST BEDWORTH SEED SWAP - 21st September 2020
- World’s biggest fruit trees flourish in Eden rainforest - 10th September 2020