With today’s gluten-free flours, no-one has to miss out on the enjoyment of freshly baked bread.
Try this focaccia, stuffed with whole garlic cloves and sea salt.
Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine.
Click here to subscribe & save.
Preparation time: 35 minutes
Proving and cooking time: 2 hours
• 2 egg whites
• 6 tbsp oil
• 1 tsp vinegar
• 2 tbsp sugar
• 1 tsp salt plus extra for the top
• 400ml/14fl oz water
• 500g/17oz gluten-free white bread flour (we used Doves)
• 2 tsp quick yeast
• 9 cloves of garlic
• ½ lemon, juice of
• 1 tbsp olive oil
1. Put the egg whites, half of the oil, vinegar, sugar, salt and water into a bowl and whisk well.
2. Add the flour and yeast, mixing to a smooth, thick batter.
3. Pour the remaining oil over the dough and mix with a spoon. The dough will be very soft.
4. Tip the dough into a square brownie tin lined with baking paper.
5. Loosely cover with a dish cloth and leave until the dough has risen to the top of the tin.
6. Once risen, stick the whole garlic cloves into the dough, drizzle with oil and lemon, and sprinkle salt over the top.
7. Bake in a preheated oven at 220C/fan 200C/Gas 7 for 55/60 minutes.Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
Enter your e-mail address below to see a free digital back issue of Kitchen Garden Magazine and get regular updates straight to your inbox…
You can unsubscribe at any time.
About the Author
- A tomato update - 16th June 2022
- A weekend of discovery unearthing London’s hidden gems by foot or bike - 6th June 2022
- Create your own tiny tray allotment this Children’s Gardening Week - 24th May 2022