Spring crops may be a few weeks off yet – but the weeds are ready to harvest.
Ingredients (serves 2)
Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine.
Click here to subscribe & save.
25g (1oz) butter
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
150g (5½oz) potatoes, peeled and diced
600ml (1pt) vegetable stock
250g (9oz) young nettle leaves, with any tough stalks removed
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the onion and garlic, fry them gently for three minutes, then add the potato and cook for a further two minutes.
2. Add the stock and bring it to the boil. Cover the pan, reduce the heat, and let the soup simmer for 10 minutes, or until the potato is soft.
3. Add the nettles and let the soup simmer for another five minutes.
4. Let the soup cool to a safe temperature, then liquidise it. Return it to the pan, season to taste with salt, pepper and lemon juice, and reheat it to serving temperature.
5. Divide the soup between two bowls and add a spoonful of sour cream to each one.Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
Enter your e-mail address below to see a free digital back issue of Kitchen Garden Magazine and get regular updates straight to your inbox…
You can unsubscribe at any time.
About the Author
- A tomato update - 16th June 2022
- A weekend of discovery unearthing London’s hidden gems by foot or bike - 6th June 2022
- Create your own tiny tray allotment this Children’s Gardening Week - 24th May 2022