Spring crops may be a few weeks off yet – but the weeds are ready to harvest.
Ingredients (serves 2)
25g (1oz) butter
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
150g (5½oz) potatoes, peeled and diced
600ml (1pt) vegetable stock
250g (9oz) young nettle leaves, with any tough stalks removed
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the onion and garlic, fry them gently for three minutes, then add the potato and cook for a further two minutes.
2. Add the stock and bring it to the boil. Cover the pan, reduce the heat, and let the soup simmer for 10 minutes, or until the potato is soft.
3. Add the nettles and let the soup simmer for another five minutes.
4. Let the soup cool to a safe temperature, then liquidise it. Return it to the pan, season to taste with salt, pepper and lemon juice, and reheat it to serving temperature.
5. Divide the soup between two bowls and add a spoonful of sour cream to each one.Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
About the Author
- RECIPES TO Celebrate British Food Fortnight - 25th September 2020
- VISIT THE FIRST BEDWORTH SEED SWAP - 21st September 2020
- World’s biggest fruit trees flourish in Eden rainforest - 10th September 2020