Editor, Steve Ott, shares his top tips for protecting plants, while temperatures soar to up to 40 degrees throughout the UK.
- Keep plants watered, but if watering aim to water in the early morning or evening to avoid too much evaporation.
- Once the soil is soaked spread a mulch over the roots to aid water retention and to cool the root zone.
- Water at the roots rather than an overall spray of water over the foliage.
- Shade the greenhouse with temporary old bed sheets or green netting if you don’t have proper shade material. For long-term protection consider spraying the glass with a liquid shading material which can be wiped off once the weather cools.
- Damp down the greenhouse paths regularly to increase humidity and cool the atmosphere.
- Open doors and windows fully.
- In the garden shade containers or move them into the shade of a building and water regularly, taking care not to splash the leaves if in bright sunlight.
- Group pots together to provide mutual shading.
Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine.
Click here to subscribe & save.
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
Enter your e-mail address below to see a free digital back issue of Kitchen Garden Magazine and get regular updates straight to your inbox…
You can unsubscribe at any time.