Rhubarb and mascarpone is a marriage made in a heaven where calories don’t count.
This is a recipe to showcase the sweetest early stalks.
Ingredients (serves two)
- 350g (12oz) young rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 4cm (1½in) lengths
- 3 tbsp orange juice
- 1 tbsp sherry
- 4 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 125g (4½oz) mascarpone
1. Put the rhubarb into an ovenproof dish big enough to accommodate the pieces in a single layer. Mix the orange juice, the sherry and 3 tbsp of the sugar together and pour the mixture over the rhubarb. Cover the dish with a lid or with foil.
2. Put the dish into the oven at 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6 for 15 minutes, or until the rhubarb is just tender – don’t let it start to lose its shape.
3. Drain the liquid from around the rhubarb into a pan and add the remaining 1 tbsp sugar. Boil it rapidly for a couple of minutes to reduce it to a syrupy consistency.
4. Divide the rhubarb between two plates, spoon the syrup over it, and add a spoonful of mascarpone to each plate.
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
About the Author
- RECIPES TO Celebrate British Food Fortnight - 25th September 2020
- VISIT THE FIRST BEDWORTH SEED SWAP - 21st September 2020
- World’s biggest fruit trees flourish in Eden rainforest - 10th September 2020