Bursting at the seams with colour and flavour, this Spanish egg and chorizo dish is great served for lunch or dinner.
Preparation time: 20 minutes | Cooking time: 30 minutes
• 4 tbsp olive oil
• 1 onion, chopped
• 1 garlic clove, chopped
• 1½ tsp hot smoked paprika
• 1 tin chopped tomatoes
• 1 tsp tomato purée
• 100g/3oz fine green beans, trimmed
• 4 free-range eggs
• 10-12 slices chorizo
• 1 red pepper, roasted and skinned, cut into strips
• A large handful of parsley, chopped
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/Gas 6
2. Heat the olive oil in a large, lidded, ovenproof frying pan or cast iron dish over medium heat. Cook the onion for five minutes, then add the garlic, chorizo and paprika and cook for a further five minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes and tomato purée, cover the pan and cook for 10- 15 minutes, or until the tomatoes are reduced slightly.
4. Meanwhile, bring a pot of salted water to the boil. Add the beans and cook for two to three minutes, then drain and refresh in ice water.
5. Add the beans to the tomato sauce, then break the eggs, laying them on top of the sauce mixture. Arrange the sliced red pepper on top, then season with salt and pepper.
6. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes, or until the egg whites are set and the yolks are still soft.
7. Remove from the oven, scatter the parsley over the dish and serve.Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.