Preparation time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 40 minutes
• 350g/12oz macaroni
• 50g/2oz butter
• 50g/2oz plain flour
• 1 bunch spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced
• 600ml/1 pint milk
• 250g/9oz grated extra-mature Cheddar
• 50g/2oz grated Parmesan
• 1½ tbsp Dijon mustard
• 200g/7oz young-leaf spinach
• 200g/7oz cherry tomatoes
2. For the cheese sauce, melt the butter in a pan, then add the flour, stirring to cook it out. Then add the spring onions and milk, slowly bring to the boil, whisking all the time until it thickens. Simmer for a few minutes and remove from the heat.
3. Then add the Cheddar and half the Parmesan until melted, followed by the mustard. Season to taste.
4. Next stir in handfuls of spinach so it wilts in the sauce.
5. Mix the cooked pasta with the sauce. Tip it into a 20cm/8in-square ovenproof dish, scatter over the tomatoes and remaining Parmesan and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden.
6. Serve with salad.Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
About the Author
- THE HELIGAN NIGHT GARDEN - 23rd November 2020
- Restoration of unique ‘Capability’ Brown garden given lifeline - 19th November 2020
- Third of UK spend less than 15 minutes a day outdoors - 17th November 2020