Preparation time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 40 minutes
• 350g/12oz macaroni
• 50g/2oz butter
• 50g/2oz plain flour
• 1 bunch spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced
• 600ml/1 pint milk
• 250g/9oz grated extra-mature Cheddar
• 50g/2oz grated Parmesan
• 1½ tbsp Dijon mustard
• 200g/7oz young-leaf spinach
• 200g/7oz cherry tomatoes
2. For the cheese sauce, melt the butter in a pan, then add the flour, stirring to cook it out. Then add the spring onions and milk, slowly bring to the boil, whisking all the time until it thickens. Simmer for a few minutes and remove from the heat.
3. Then add the Cheddar and half the Parmesan until melted, followed by the mustard. Season to taste.
4. Next stir in handfuls of spinach so it wilts in the sauce.
5. Mix the cooked pasta with the sauce. Tip it into a 20cm/8in-square ovenproof dish, scatter over the tomatoes and remaining Parmesan and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden.
6. Serve with salad.Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
You can unsubscribe at any time.
About the Author
- BRITISH ARTISTS TO RAISE FUNDS FOR HORATIO’S GARDEN - 27th April 2021
- Celebrity Gardener Toby Buckland urges us all to “use our gardens for good” - 26th April 2021
- discover the floral splendour of britain’s greatest palace - 23rd April 2021