Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time for the chutney: 60 minutes
FOR THE CHUTNEY
• 1kg/2lbs 3oz raw beetroot, peeled and chopped
• 2 onions, chopped
• 2 apples, chopped
• ½ tbsp white or yellow mustard seeds
• ½tbsp coriander seeds
• ½ tbsp ground cinnamon
• 500ml/17½fl oz red wine vinegar
• 500g/17½fl oz golden granulated sugar
• 32 blinis
• 2-3 peppered mackerel fillets skin removed
• 4 tbsp horseradish sauce
• Dill sprigs
1. In a preserving pan or your largest saucepan, add all the ingredients. Bring to a gentle simmer, then cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally until the chutney is thick and the beetroot tender.
2. While the chutney is cooking, prepare 6 x 250ml jars by running through a short hot wash in your dishwasher. Or wash thoroughly by hand, then put in a hot oven to sterilise for 10-15 mins. Once the chutney is ready, let it settle for 10 mins, then carefully spoon into the jars and seal while still hot.
3. To make the blinis: Top with a spoonful of beetroot chutney and some smoked mackerel. Add a dollop of horseradish sauce, and finish with some dill.Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
Enter your e-mail address below to see a free digital back issue of Kitchen Garden Magazine and get regular updates straight to your inbox…
You can unsubscribe at any time.
About the Author
- Chiswick Flower Market grows - 21st January 2022
- GOVERNMENT CONSULTS ON THE banning of peat IN UK HORTICULTURE - 18th December 2021
- DAZZLING DAHLIAS AT HELIGAN - 13th August 2021