Who can say no to a cheesy bake? Not me, that’s for sure! This scrumptious dish is perfect for those long, cold winter weekends.
Serves 4 | Ingredients
500g Brussel Sprouts
2 tbsp Olive oil
4 Shallots, thinly sliced
85g Fresh breadcrumbs
50g Plain flour
2 tsp Wholegrain mustard
100g Cheddar, grated
30g Pine nuts
1. Heat oven to 200c / 180c fan / gas 6
2. Halve any large sprouts and toss them with the oil and some seasoning in a roasting tin or ovenproof dish. Roast for 20 minutes until the sprouts are tender and turning golden.
3. Meanwhile, put the shallots in a frying pan and gently place over a medium-low heat. Gently fry until crispy. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon. Add the breadcrumbs and fry until golden and crunchy. Set aside, then clean the pan with paper.
4. Melt the butter in the pan with 2 tbsp of the milk, then stir in the flour and mustard for two minute to make a paste. Gradually whisk in remaining milk until you have a smooth sauce.
6. Tip the sprouts and shallots into an ovenproof dish, then spoon over the sauce and scatter on the breadcrumbs and pine nuts.
7. Bake gratin for 10-15 minutes until bubbling.
8. Serve and enjoy!Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
You can unsubscribe at any time.