Who can say no to a cheesy bake? Not me, that’s for sure! This scrumptious dish is perfect for those long, cold winter weekends.
Serves 4 | Ingredients
500g Brussel Sprouts
Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine.
Click here to subscribe & save.
2 tbsp Olive oil
4 Shallots, thinly sliced
85g Fresh breadcrumbs
50g Plain flour
2 tsp Wholegrain mustard
100g Cheddar, grated
30g Pine nuts
1. Heat oven to 200c / 180c fan / gas 6
2. Halve any large sprouts and toss them with the oil and some seasoning in a roasting tin or ovenproof dish. Roast for 20 minutes until the sprouts are tender and turning golden.
3. Meanwhile, put the shallots in a frying pan and gently place over a medium-low heat. Gently fry until crispy. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon. Add the breadcrumbs and fry until golden and crunchy. Set aside, then clean the pan with paper.
4. Melt the butter in the pan with 2 tbsp of the milk, then stir in the flour and mustard for two minute to make a paste. Gradually whisk in remaining milk until you have a smooth sauce.
5. Cook until you have a thick sauce, then turn off the heat and stir the cheese in until melted. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
6. Tip the sprouts and shallots into an ovenproof dish, then spoon over the sauce and scatter on the breadcrumbs and pine nuts.
7. Bake gratin for 10-15 minutes until bubbling.
8. Serve and enjoy!Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
Enter your e-mail address below to see a free digital back issue of Kitchen Garden Magazine and get regular updates straight to your inbox…
You can unsubscribe at any time.