Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
• 200g (7oz) unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
• 100g (4oz) caster sugar
• 100g (4oz) soft dark brown sugar
• 2 large eggs
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 200g (7oz) self-raising flour
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 2 tsp ground ginger
• 2 pears, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
1. Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Grease and line the base and sides of a 900g (2lb) loaf tin with baking parchment, ensuring the parchment comes 2cm (¾in) above the top of the tin.
2. Using a hand mixer, beat the butter and sugars together until pale, then gradually stir in the eggs and vanilla extract.
3. Fold in the flour, baking powder, ginger and a pinch of salt into the mix, then stir through the pears.
4. Pour the mixture into the loaf tin, smooth the surface, then bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tin.Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
You can unsubscribe at any time.