This dish makes an excellent side dish or a great main for vegetarians at Christmas dinner.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
• 175ml/6fl oz oil, plus extra for greasing
• 3 large eggs
• 170g/6oz sugar
• 280g/10oz self-raising flour
• ½ tsp baking powder
• ½ tsp bicarb
• 200g/7oz parsnip, grated
• 75g/2½oz desiccated coconut
• 3 tbsp toasted almond flakes
• 250g/9oz cream cheese
• 2 tbsp desiccated coconut
• 2 tbsp icing sugar
1. Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Grease a loose-bottomed bun tin and line with baking parchment.
2. Put the eggs, oil, sugar in a bowl and whisk for 1 minute until combined.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda over the mixture and fold in carefully, along with the parsnips and desiccated coconut. Spoon into the tin and bake for 35-45 minutes until golden and firm to the touch.
4. Push a skewer into the centre of the cake – if it comes out clean, then it is cooked. If it is still wet, cook for a further 10 mins. Transfer the cake to a wire rack and leave to cool completely before icing.
5. To make the icing, put the cream cheese and 2 tbsp icing sugar in a bowl and beat together until smooth. Spread the icing over the top of the cooled cake and finish with the toasted almond flakes.Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
About the Author
- RECIPES TO Celebrate British Food Fortnight - 25th September 2020
- VISIT THE FIRST BEDWORTH SEED SWAP - 21st September 2020
- World’s biggest fruit trees flourish in Eden rainforest - 10th September 2020