Now that the sprouting season is well underway, ring the changes with this recipe, which reworks the broccoli-and-Stilton soup pairing as a side dish.
Ingredients (serves 2)
15g (½oz) butter
1 large clove garlic, peeled and crushed
25g (1oz) stale white bread, rubbed into coarse breadcrumbs
225g (8oz) sprouting broccoli (prepared weight), with coarse stems removed
40g (1½oz) Stilton, cut into small pieces
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Melt the butter in a frying pan over a gentle heat. Add the garlic and let it cook very gently for two minutes. (The aim is for it to infuse the butter, rather than for it to fry as such.)
2. Add the breadcrumbs to the pan, turn up the heat slightly, and fry them, stirring constantly, for about five minutes, until they are crispy and golden.
3. Steam the broccoli for about five minutes, until it is just tender.
4. Arrange the broccoli in an ovenproof dish and scatter the pieces of Stilton on top. Put the dish into the oven at 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4 for five minutes, then sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top and return it to the oven for a further two minutes.
5. Season to taste with black pepper.Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
You can unsubscribe at any time.
About the Author
- Create a log pile for stag beetles and other wildlife - 21st June 2021
- JOIN THE BIG BUTTERFLY COUNT - 11th June 2021
- WATER SAVING WEEK MAY 17-22 2021: Save water and upgrade your houseplant carE - 11th June 2021