These vegetarian pasties are great to make up for a picnic, or a party for easy one-handed eating!
MAKES 6 pasties
Preparation time: 1 hour 30 minutes | Cooking time: 30 minutes
Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine.
Click here to subscribe & save.
You can get creative with the filling too – try adding cooked sweet potato or chickpeas.
FOR THE DOUGH:
• 225ml warm water
• 2 tsp active dry yeast
• 125g (5oz) wholewheat flour
• 125g (5oz) plain flour
• 1½ teaspoons salt
• 2 tbsp olive oil
FOR THE FILLING:
• 2 tbsp olive oil, plus more for brushing
• 1 large onion, finely chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• 3 tsp curry powder
• 225g (8oz) Puy lentils
• 300g (10oz) kale, stems removed and chopped
• 1 tsp salt
1. Combine the warm water and yeast in a small bowl and let sit until the yeast dissolves. Meanwhile, combine the two flours and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, and mix on low speed. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, followed by the dissolved yeast mixture, and mix on low speed until a smooth dough forms. Set aside to rise for 1 hour.
2. Boil the lentils according to the packet’s instructions, set aside.
3. Sauté the chopped onion and garlic in the olive oil together with the curry powder and ground cumin. Add the cooked lentils and kale. Cook for 10 minutes until the kale has wilted down. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Preheat your oven to 200C/190 fan/gas 6.
5. Divide the dough into 6 pieces and roll out into an 8-9 inch oval. Spread a large tablespoonful of lentil mixture on to the oval, leaving room at the edges to seal the pocket closed. Fold the top half of the dough over, and pinch and fold edges to seal securely.
6. Use a spatula to transfer the pasties on to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush top with olive oil and cut a small slit to let steam escape as it bakes. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
7. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until browned. Serve hot, or leave to cool for later.Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
Enter your e-mail address below to see a free digital back issue of Kitchen Garden Magazine and get regular updates straight to your inbox…
You can unsubscribe at any time.