And it’s so quick to knock together – it can be made on a whim when you are craving a delicious sweet treat.
This is a great way to use up any apples that have gone a bit soft or bruised.
SERVES 4-6 | Preparation time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 45 minutes
• 5-6 not too sweet apples, peeled, cored and diced
• 3 tbsp maple syrup
• 2 tbsp corn flour
• 1 tbsp lemon juice
• 1 tsp cinnamon
• 200g/7oz gluten-free muesli
• 100g/3½oz ground almonds
• 50g/2oz pecan nuts, chopped
• 25g/1oz walnuts, chopped
• 75g/3oz brown sugar
• 4 tbsp butter or coconut oil, melted
• A pinch of salt
1. Preheat the oven to 170C/160C fan/gas mark 4.
2. In a nine-inch baking dish, mix together the apples, maple syrup, corn flour, lemon juice and cinnamon.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the muesli, ground almonds, walnuts and pecans, brown sugar and salt. Mix in the melted butter or coconut oil. Stir until well incorporated.
4. Dollop spoonfuls of the muesli mixture over the filling and use your fingers to break up the mixture until it is evenly distributed.
5. Bake for about 45 to 50 minutes, or until the filling is bubbling around the edges and the top is nice and golden. Serve with Greek yogurt or ice cream.Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
Enter your e-mail address below to see a free digital back issue of Kitchen Garden Magazine and get regular updates straight to your inbox…You can unsubscribe at any time.