#Carrotcake Simple to make, yet worthy of a gold star, this carrot cake really is a winner in the afternoon tea department. Rich, moist and flavourful, it’s an all-round favourite.
• 155ml (5½fl oz) sunflower oil, plus extra for greasing
• 230g (8oz) self-raising flour
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 2 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1 tsp allspice
• 230g (8oz) dark brown sugar
• 1 lemon, zest of
• 100g (3½oz) walnuts, chopped
• 75g (2½oz) golden sultanas
• 260g (9oz) carrots, coarsely grated
• 3 large free-range eggs, beaten
• 150g (5¼oz) butter, softened
• 200g (7oz) full-fat cream cheese
• 200g (7oz) icing sugar
• 2 tsp orange juice
• 1 orange, zest of
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas mark 4. Grease two 18cm (7in) loose-bottomed, round cake tins and line the base with baking paper.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder and spices into a large bowl. Add the sugar, lemon zest, grated ginger, walnuts and grated carrots, then stir until well mixed. Combine the oil and eggs, then mix well with the dry ingredients.
3. Divide the mixture between the two prepared cake tins and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
4. Transfer to a cooling rack, leave in the tins for five minutes, then turn out and leave to cool completely before icing.
5. For the icing, beat the butter in a large bowl with a hand mixer until soft. Add the icing sugar, orange juice and half of the zest, beat again.
6. Now add the cream cheese and beat again until well mixed.
7. Store, covered, in the fridge until needed.
8. To decorate, place half of the icing on top of one cake layer, sandwich the second layer on top and ice the top of the cake with the remaining icing. Decorate by scattering the remaining orange zest over the top.Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
You can unsubscribe at any time.
About the Author
- Create a log pile for stag beetles and other wildlife - 21st June 2021
- JOIN THE BIG BUTTERFLY COUNT - 11th June 2021
- WATER SAVING WEEK MAY 17-22 2021: Save water and upgrade your houseplant carE - 11th June 2021