Preparation time: 35 minutes | Cooking time: 20 minutes
• 1 small/medium courgette (roughly 150g/5oz)
• 2 x 400g tins chickpeas, drained and rinsed
• 3 tbsp plain flour
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• ½ tsp cumin
• 1 lemon, zested
• 3 tbsp sunflower oil for frying
• Salt and pepper
1. Trim the courgette, then grate. Wrap the courgette in a clean tea towel and squeeze out any excess moisture. Set aside.
2. Put the chickpeas, flour, garlic, cumin, the lemon zest and a little seasoning in a food processor. Whiz until medium coarse. Add the courgette and pulse briefly to combine. Don’t overmix.
3. Divide the mixture into 12-14 equal falafels.
4. Heat the sunflower oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and cook the falafels in two batches for around 2-3 minutes each side, until golden and crisp.
5. Serve with salad and pitta bread.Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
You can unsubscribe at any time.