I really enjoy making courgette cake as it’s quick and easy. Great for making if expecting guests!
• 150ml (5fl oz) organic sunflower oil, plus extra to grease
• 250g (9oz) self-raising flour
• 3 large eggs
• 175g (6oz) unrefined granulated sugar
• ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
• 2 medium courgettes or 250g (9oz), grated
• ½ lemon, juice and zest of
• 300g (10oz) icing sugar
• ½ lemon, juice of
• 30g (1oz) butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Grease a 25cm (10in) square cake tin.
2. Grate the courgette and set aside.
3. Next beat the eggs, oil and sugar in a large bowl. Sift the flour and bicarbonate of soda and stir into the mixture.
4. Stir in the courgettes, lemon zest and juice. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the surface.
5. Bake for 35-40minutes, until golden and a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Leave to cool slightly in the tin; then remove from the tin to cool completely on a wire rack.
6. To make the icing, mix the icing sugar with the lemon juice and melted butter well.
7. Decorate the cake with the icing and, using a fork, make decorative lines. Cut into equal squares, and serve.
Recipe & Photo by Anna PettigrewEnjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
You can unsubscribe at any time.