This is a lovely winter dish and is an excellent accompaniment to baked fish or sausages.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine.
Click here to subscribe & save.
Cooking time: 15 minutes
• 1 sweetheart cabbage
• 30g/1oz butter
• 2 tbsp plain flour
• 250ml/9fl oz milk
• 250ml/9fl oz cooking water from the cabbage
• Salt and pepper
• ¼ tsp nutmeg
1. Cut the cabbage into quarters, then blanch it for 3-4 minutes. Set aside, reserving 250ml/9fl oz of cooking water.
2. Make the sauce by melting the butter in a medium pan, add the flour and keep stirring until you have a thick paste. Add the milk and cooking liquid a little at a time. Bring to a simmer until the sauce is thickened. Add the nutmeg, and take off the heat.
3. Add the cabbage and mix through to coat.
4. Season with salt and pepper and serve with baked fish or sausages.
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
Enter your e-mail address below to see a free digital back issue of Kitchen Garden Magazine and get regular updates straight to your inbox…
You can unsubscribe at any time.
About the Author
- A tomato update - 16th June 2022
- A weekend of discovery unearthing London’s hidden gems by foot or bike - 6th June 2022
- Create your own tiny tray allotment this Children’s Gardening Week - 24th May 2022