This dish is great to serve for lunch or for dinner with some green beans on the side.
SERVES 2 | Preparation time: 30 minutes | Cooking time: 30 minutes
FOR THE CRÊPES
• 25g/1oz butter, melted
• 25g/1oz plain flour
• 225ml/8fl oz milk
• 1 egg
• Pinch of salt
FOR THE FILLING
• 1 large bunch of kale, chopped
• 1 onion, chopped
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 1 red pepper, diced
• 1 tin tomatoes
• 2 tbsp pine nuts, toasted
• Olive oil for frying
FOR THE SAUCE
• 25g/1oz butter
• 25g/1oz plain flour
• 400ml/14fl oz milk
• 80g/3oz cheese, grated
• Salt and pepper
MAKE THE PANCAKES
1. Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl. Whisk together the egg, butter and milk in another bowl. Then slowly pour the liquid into the dry ingredients, whisk together until the batter is smooth, then add the herbs.
2. Heat a 20cm/8in crêpe or omelette pan until very hot, drizzle in a small amount of oil and tip the pan to swirl the oil around. Ladle in about two tablespoons of batter mix and immediately tilt the pan from side to side to get a thin, even layer of batter to cover the base of the pan. Cook for around 30 seconds until golden then flip. Continue until all the batter is used up. Set aside.
MAKE THE FILLING
1. Fry the onion in a little olive oil, then add the garlic. Heat through for a few minutes. Then add the red pepper and tomatoes and continue to cook for five minutes.
2. Next add the kale and pine nuts and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
MAKE THE SAUCE
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan.
2. Stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes.
3. Take the pan off the heat and gradually stir in the milk to get a smooth sauce. Return to the heat and, stirring all the time, bring to the boil.
4. Simmer gently for 8-10 minutes and season with salt and white pepper.
5. Stir in the cheese and allow to melt.
6. To assemble, spoon some filling into each crepe, then pour over the cheese sauce. Finish with a few pine nuts.Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
You can unsubscribe at any time.
About the Author
- Create a log pile for stag beetles and other wildlife - 21st June 2021
- JOIN THE BIG BUTTERFLY COUNT - 11th June 2021
- WATER SAVING WEEK MAY 17-22 2021: Save water and upgrade your houseplant carE - 11th June 2021