This is a simple supper dish that is quick to prepare and is full of flavour.
• 1 kg (2 lb) potatoes, peeled and halved
• 2 large leeks, trimmed, washed and sliced
• 200ml (7fl oz) milk
• Extra virgin olive oil
• 4 smoked mackerel fillets
• ½ lemon, zest of
1. Cook the potatoes in simmering water for 15 minutes or until cooked through. Drain, cover and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, add a glug of olive oil to another saucepan and add the leeks. Sweat gently for about 5 minutes until soft. Add the milk and bring to the boil, then turn the heat off and add to the potatoes. Mash well and season to taste. Cover and set aside.
3. Put the mackerel on a baking tray, sprinkle over the zest, and grill for a couple of minutes on each side.
4. Serve the warm mackerel on a bed of mash.
Recipe & Photography By Anna PettigrewEnjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
You can unsubscribe at any time.