SERVES 4 | Preparation time: 20 minutes | Cooking time: 40 minutes
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 50g/2oz butter
• 200g/7oz mushrooms of your choice, halved or quartered, if large
• 1 tsp finely chopped rosemary
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• 1 glass of dry white wine
• 1 onion, chopped
• 300g/10oz risotto rice
• 50g/2oz parsley, chopped
• 125g/4½oz goat’s cheese
• 250ml/8fl oz hot vegetable stock
1. Melt the butter and a splash of olive oil in a large frying pan over a high heat. When the butter foams, add the mushrooms. Season, cook for 2-3 minutes, then set aside in a mixing bowl.
2. Put the stock in a saucepan and keep warm over a low heat – it should be steaming, not boiling. Meanwhile, wipe the frying pan clean, then add a bit more olive oil over a medium-low heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 6-8 minutes until softened and translucent, stirring now and then.
3. Increase the heat under the frying pan to medium, then add the rice and stir for 1-2 minutes until it has a nice sheen. Add the wine and stir until absorbed. Add a ladleful of the stock and stir gently until absorbed.
4. Keep adding the stock a ladleful at a time, stirring the bottom of the pan to make sure the rice cooks evenly. Keep adding stock as it is absorbed.
5. When all the stock has been used up and the rice is just tender, season well with salt and pepper. Chop most of the parsley (pick the leaves of the rest and set aside), then add to the risotto with the mushroom mixture.
6. Stir gently, giving everything enough time to warm through. Gently mix in the goat’s cheese, then taste and season. Serve drizzled with extra-virgin olive oil, if you like.
Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
You can unsubscribe at any time.
About the Author
- Create a log pile for stag beetles and other wildlife - 21st June 2021
- JOIN THE BIG BUTTERFLY COUNT - 11th June 2021
- WATER SAVING WEEK MAY 17-22 2021: Save water and upgrade your houseplant carE - 11th June 2021