I almost always add a few potatoes to my curries. I like the extra bite they add, and they’re also satisfyingly filling.
Preparation time: 35 minutes | Cooking time: 30 minutes
• 1½ tsp Madras powder
• 1½ tsp turmeric
• 1 tsp curry powder
• 1 tsp cumin seeds, ground in a mortar
• 5 cardamom pods
• 250g/9oz chana dal
• 1 tbsp coconut oil
• 1 large onion, sliced
• 3 garlic cloves
• 200g/7oz potatoes, diced
• 200g/7oz cauliflower, cut into florets
• 150g/5oz mushrooms, sliced
• 1 bell pepper, chopped
• 1 vegetable stock cube
• ½ mug of water
• Rice to serve
1. Rinse the chana dal in cold water, and bring to the boil in a large pan of cold water. Cook for 30 minutes, or until tender. Drain and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, toast the spices on a hot pan, remove and set aside.
3. Add coconut oil to the hot pan, then add onion, and cook until soft for about seven minutes.
4. Add the remaining vegetables to the pan, followed by the spices.
5. Dissolve the stock cube in half a mug of hot water and add to the vegetable pan. Stir to coat the vegetables in the spice and stock mixture, then add the chana dal and stir. Leave to simmer for 20 minutes.
6. Next add the chutney, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
7. Serve with rice and chapati for a delicious and warming treat.Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
You can unsubscribe at any time.
About the Author
- DAZZLING DAHLIAS AT HELIGAN - 13th August 2021
- National Allotments Week 2021 9 to 15 August - 9th August 2021
- Create a log pile for stag beetles and other wildlife - 21st June 2021