Makes 4-5 x 500ml jars
Preparation time: 30 minutes | Cooking time: 1 hour
• 1kg/2lb Bramley apples, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
• 1kg/2lb pears, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
• 1kg/2lb plums, halved and stones removed
• 2kg/4½lb granulated sugar
• Zest and juice of 1 lemon
1. Place all the fruit and ginger in a large heavy-bottomed pan.
2. Pour in just enough water to cover the base. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 45 minutes until the fruit is tender. Make sure to stir once in a while to stop it from sticking.
3. Remove from the heat and stir in the sugar until completely dissolved.
4. Add the lemon juice and zest.
5. Now bring the mixture back to the boil and cook rapidly (rolling boil) for 15 minutes, then test to see if it’s reached setting point. To do this, turn down the heat and put one teaspoon of jam on a cold saucer in the fridge for five minutes. If it wrinkles and turns jelly-like, it’s set. If not, turn the heat back up for a further five minutes and repeat the process.
6. When the desired consistency has been reached, take off the heat and remove any scum that may have collected on the top.
7. Pour into cooled, sterilised jars, filling right to the top, then seal with waxed paper circles (wax-side down) and cellophane jam covers.
8. Store for 6-12 months.Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
You can unsubscribe at any time.
About the Author
- Create a log pile for stag beetles and other wildlife - 21st June 2021
- JOIN THE BIG BUTTERFLY COUNT - 11th June 2021
- WATER SAVING WEEK MAY 17-22 2021: Save water and upgrade your houseplant carE - 11th June 2021