• 50g (2oz) butter
• 3 medium leeks, trimmed, washed and sliced
• 4 thick slices of sourdough
• 100g (3.5oz) mature cheddar, grated
• Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat, then add the leeks. Sweat them gently, stirring often, taking care not to burn. Continue to cook for about 10 minutes until the leeks are tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
2. Preheat the grill at medium high heat. Grill the bread for a few minutes on either side, and remove from the oven.
3. Spoon the leek mixture thickly over the bread and top with the grated cheese.
4. Return to the oven and grill until bubbling and golden, then serve straight away.
Recipe & Photography By Anna Pettigrew
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
Enter your e-mail address below to see a free digital back issue of Kitchen Garden Magazine and get regular updates straight to your inbox…
You can unsubscribe at any time.