Preparation time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 30 minutes
• 200g/7oz polenta
• 285ml/10fl oz buttermilk
• 25g/1oz butter
• 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
• 1 tsp baking powder
• ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
• 2 large eggs, beaten
• 1 tsp salt
1. Preheat your oven to 200C/180C fan assisted/gas mark 6. Grease a 30cm (12in) cast iron skillet or a 20cm (8in) square or round pan, and set it aside.
2. In a large bowl, place the polenta, salt and bicarb, and stir to combine.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, butter and buttermilk. Whisk to combine well.
4. Create a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined. The mixture will be relatively thin.
5. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until lightly golden brown on top, and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
6. Slice and serve.Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
You can unsubscribe at any time.