GRILLED GREEN TOMATO CHUTNEY
- 500 g green tomatoes
- 275 ml cider or white wine vinegar
- 50 ml balsamic vinegar
- 125 g muscovado sugar
- 100 g dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2.5 cm lump of ginger roughly sliced
- 2 teaspoons of mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons of Szechwan or black pepper
- 2 medium dried chilis
- 10 fresh sage leaves
- a couple of sprigs of rosemary
- a couple of sprigs each of thyme and oregano
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 500 g apples peeled and chopped
Slice the tomatoes and drizzle with olive oil, then place on a very hot griddle pan until browned but still firm and uncooked.
Heat the vinegars in a pan and add the sugars, stirring till dissolved.
Put the ginger, mustard seeds, pepper and chilis into a muslin spice bag.
Chop the char-grilled tomatoes and put into a pan with the rest of the ingredients.
Simmer for at least two hours, stirring occasionally, until the chutney is your desired consistency.
Pour into sterilised jars with non- metal lids. The amounts above are enough for 3-4 medium jars.
Store in a dark place for at least 3 months.
Head over to the thread to add your comments and share some pictures.Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
About the Author
- THE HELIGAN NIGHT GARDEN - 23rd November 2020
- Restoration of unique ‘Capability’ Brown garden given lifeline - 19th November 2020
- Third of UK spend less than 15 minutes a day outdoors - 17th November 2020