A quick and easy stuffed pepper recipe, perfect to serve at a barbecue.
• 200g (7oz) red or green lentils
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
• 1 carrot, grated
• 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
• A handful of cherry tomatoes, chopped
• 125ml (4½fl oz) vegetable stock
• 1 tsp dried rosemary
• 1 tsp dried oregano
• 1 tsp dried thyme
• 100g (3½oz) spinach, chopped
• 4 red or green peppers, halved and deseeded
• ½ lemon, juiced
• 50g (1¾oz) goats’ cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Put the lentils and 500ml (17½ fl oz) water in a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Once it’s boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for 15-25 minutes, until tender. Drain them and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and grated carrot and sauté for five minutes. Add the garlic, chopped tomatoes, vegetable stock and dried herbs and simmer for a further 10 minutes. Take the pan off the heat and add the chopped spinach and cooked lentils. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Place the pepper halves, cut side up, on a lightly greased baking tray and fill the peppers with the lentil mixture, distributing it evenly. Scatter the goats’ cheese over the tops of the peppers, and squeeze the lemon juice over. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes. Serve immediately, or reheat them on the barbecue for five minutes.Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
Enter your e-mail address below to see a free digital back issue of Kitchen Garden Magazine and get regular updates straight to your inbox…You can unsubscribe at any time.