A rich and comforting dish loaded with vegetables, perfect for this time of year
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
• 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1 carrot, grated
• 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
• 500g/1lb lean minced beef
• 100g/4oz spinach, chopped
• 1 tin tomatoes
• ½ tin of green lentils
• 300ml (10fl oz) stock
• 1tbsp tomato purée
• Salt and ground black pepper
• 350g/12oz spaghetti
1. Put the onion and oil in a large pan and fry over a medium-high heat for 4-5 mins. Add the garlic, grated carrot and mince and fry until browned. Add the spinach and herbs, and cook for another couple of mins.
2. Stir in the tomatoes, lentils, stock, tomato purée, and season with salt and pepper.
3. Bring to a simmer boil, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti in a large pan of boiling, salted water, according to packet instructions. Drain well, run hot water through it, put it back in the pan and add a dash of olive oil, if you like, then stir in the meat sauce.
5. Serve hot.Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.