A real taste sensation, this veggie chilli is easy to prepare and great for mid-week dinners. Add plenty of coriander, it really makes the dish.
Preparation time: 20 minutes | Cooking time: 40 minutes
• 150g/5oz black beans, soaked overnight, then cooked for 1 hour.
• Olive oil for frying
• 1 large onion, finely chopped
• 2 cloves of garlic, minced
• 1 red pepper, diced
• 1 yellow pepper, diced
• 2 sticks of celery, finely chopped
• 1 tin of tomatoes
• 2 tbsp tomato puree
• A large bunch of coriander, chopped
• 2 tsp smoked paprika
• 1 tsp cumin seeds, crushed
• 2 tsp oregano
• ½ tsp chilli flakes
• 1 tbsp hot chilli sauce
• 1 tsp cinnamon
• 1 vegetable stock cube, dissolved in 100ml water
• ½ lime, juice of
• Rice to serve
1. In a pot over medium heat, warm a little of the olive oil, then add the chopped onion, bell peppers and celery. Stir to combine and then cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and the onion is translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
2. Next add the garlic, chilli flakes, cumin, smoked paprika, cinnamon and oregano. Cook until fragrant while stirring constantly, about 1 minute.
3. Now add the tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, cooked black beans and vegetable stock. Stir to combine and let the mixture come to a simmer. Continue cooking on a gentle simmer, for 30 minutes.
4. Remove the chilli from heat and add the hot chilli sauce, lime and coriander. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
5. Serve with rice.Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.