Serve this sweet and tangy chutney with a crumbly aged cheddar and crackers for a delicious snack.
Makes 2-3 Jars
Preparation time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 25 minutes
• 250g (9oz) brown sugar
• 8 large ripe figs
• 150ml (5fl oz) malt vinegar
• 150ml (5fl oz) cider vinegar
• 250g (9oz) red onions, chopped
• 250g (9oz) raisins
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 tsp mixed spice
• 1 tsp black pepper
1. Coarsely chop the figs, removing any tough stems as you go, then put them in a large jam pot.
2. Next add the vinegars, onions, raisins, salt, mixed spice, black pepper, and bring to a boil.
3. Simmer for 30 minutes, until the onions and fruit are soft.
4. Reduce the heat and add in the sugar. Let the sugar dissolve completely before bringing the mixture back to a boil.
5. Reduce the heat again, and let the chutney simmer for 15 minutes, occasionally stir to keep it from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Pour the hot mixture into sterilised jam jars and seal. •Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.