Ingredients (makes 12 slices)
250g (9oz) self-raising flour
175g (6oz) light soft brown sugar
175g (6oz) butter or margarine
Zest of 1 orange, grated
½ tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
175g (6oz) blackberries
3 tbsp demerara sugar
1. Put the flour, soft brown sugar and butter/margarine into a bowl, and rub in the butter/margarine with your fingertips. Put 8 tbsp of this mixture aside for the topping.
2. Add the apple, eggs, orange zest, cinnamon and baking powder, and mix for just long enough to combine everything. Fold in three-quarters of the blackberries.
3. Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin. Spoon the mixture into the tin, level it and scatter the rest of the blackberries on top.
4. Stir the demerara sugar into the topping mixture and sprinkle this over the loaf.
5. Put the tin into the oven at 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4. Bake for 40 minutes, then cover the top loosely with foil and bake for a further 30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
6. Let the loaf cool before removing it from the tin.Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
About the Author
- RECIPES TO Celebrate British Food Fortnight - 25th September 2020
- VISIT THE FIRST BEDWORTH SEED SWAP - 21st September 2020
- World’s biggest fruit trees flourish in Eden rainforest - 10th September 2020