Try this simple yet delicious recipe for making use of your bumper crop of rhubarb
Ingredients (makes two 454g/1lb jars)
700g (1lb 9oz) rhubarb, chopped
700g (1lb 9oz) sugar
40g (1½oz) crystallised ginger, finely chopped
2 tbsp lemon juice
1. Mix the rhubarb and sugar together in a bowl and leave them to sit for several hours, or overnight.
2. Put the rhubarb and sugar into a heavy-bottomed pan over a moderate heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Add the ginger and lemon juice.
3. Increase the heat and boil rapidly until setting point is reached. (Test for this by letting a few drops of the syrup cool on a saucer. If the cooled surface wrinkles when pushed with a finger, it is ready.)
4. Transfer the hot jam to warmed jars and seal them down.
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
About the Author
- RECIPES TO Celebrate British Food Fortnight - 25th September 2020
- VISIT THE FIRST BEDWORTH SEED SWAP - 21st September 2020
- World’s biggest fruit trees flourish in Eden rainforest - 10th September 2020