FOR THE COMPOTE
Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine.
Click here to subscribe & save.
• 3 large oranges, (zest of 1, juice of 3)
• 100g (3½oz) caster sugar
• 600g (1lb 3oz) rhubarb (trimmed weight), cut into 2.5cm (1in) pieces
FOR THE PUDDING
• 500ml (17fl oz) full-fat creamy milk
• 150ml (5fl oz) single or double cream
• 55g (2oz) caster sugar
• 100g (3½oz) short grain pudding rice
• ½ vanilla pod
1. For the rhubarb compote, put the orange juice, zest and sugar into a small pan and bring to the boil. Add the rhubarb and simmer gently for 5-7 minutes until just tender (it should still hold its shape).
2. Sieve the syrup, and place the rhubarb to one side. Return the syrup to the pan and boil until reduced slightly. Pour this back over the rhubarb and keep warm.
3. For the rice pudding, put the milk, cream, sugar and rice into a pan, bring to a gentle simmer.
4. Score the vanilla pod lengthways, scrape the seeds out, and add both seeds and pod to the pan.
5. Cook for 25-30 minutes, stirring regularly, making sure the mixture isn’t sticking to the bottom of the pan. Once cooked the rice should be tender and the mixture thick and creamy. Remove from the heat, and leave covered for 5-10 minutes.
6. Divide the warm rice pudding among bowls and serve topped with the rhubarb compote.
Recipe & Photography By Anna PettigrewEnjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
Enter your e-mail address below to see a free digital back issue of Kitchen Garden Magazine and get regular updates straight to your inbox…
You can unsubscribe at any time.