This is a lovely vegan soup that is sweet and tangy with home-grown tomatoes and deliciously creamy from the coconut milk.
Preparation time: 20 minutes | Cooking time: 45 minutes
• 400g (14oz) tomatoes, halved
• Olive oil to drizzle
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 1 thumb-size piece of ginger, grated
• 3 carrots, chopped
• 1 tbsp mild curry powder
• 2 garlic cloves, peeled
• 1 tin of tomatoes
• 1 tin coconut milk
• 500ml (17½fl oz) vegetable stock
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C/gas mark 2. Place the tomatoes and garlic cut side up on a baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and roast the tomatoes for 30 minutes.
2. Add a little oil to a large soup pot, and add the chopped onion and curry powder, sweat for five minutes. Then add the carrots and ginger.
3. Add the roasted tomatoes, garlic, tinned tomatoes, coconut milk and stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Taste and add salt if needed.
5. Let soup cool slightly and puree until very smooth with a stick blender. Serve.Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
Enter your e-mail address below to see a free digital back issue of Kitchen Garden Magazine and get regular updates straight to your inbox…You can unsubscribe at any time.