• 400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
• 2-3 garlic cloves
• 1 big handful of rocket
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• 1 tsp ground coriander
• 2 tbsp plain flour
• 1 small onion, roughly chopped
• 1 tsp salt
• Oil for frying
1. Place the chickpeas into a food processor along with the rocket, flour, garlic, cumin, coriander and onion. Pulse all ingredients together until a rough, coarse mixture forms. Scrape down the sides of the processor periodically. Process until the mixture is still rough but a consistent texture throughout. (Don’t over-process or it will turn into hummus.)
2. Refrigerate for one hour.
3. Pour enough vegetable oil into a skillet to reach 3cm (1½in). Then heat over medium heat.
4. Meanwhile, form the falafel mixture into golf ball sized flattened balls. (If the falafel doesn’t hold together, place the mixture back in the processor again for a smoother texture.)
5. Fry the falafel for three minutes on either side until golden brown and crispy.
Recipe & Photography By Anna PettigrewEnjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
You can unsubscribe at any time.