SERVES 4 | Preparation time: 20 minutes | Cooking time: 45 minutes
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1 onion, diced
• 1 celery stick, diced
• 1 carrot, diced
• ½ courgette, chopped
• 200g/7oz winter squash, diced
• 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 4 thyme sprigs, leaves picked
• 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
• 1 tbsp tomato purée
• 1 x 400g tin plum tomatoes
• 1 x 400g tin butter beans, drained
• 1ltr/1¾pt stock
• 50g/2oz macaroni
• 50g/2oz kale leaves, shredded
• Freshly grated Parmesan, to serve
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onion, celery, squash, courgette and carrot and cook for 10 minutes, or until softened.
2. Stir in the garlic and thyme leaves, then cook for 2-3 minutes more.
3. Stir in the balsamic vinegar, tomato purée, and tomatoes. Then add the stock and cook for 10 minutes.
4. Add the pasta and beans and kale and cook for 10 minutes.
5. Season to taste, and serve with Parmesan.Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
About the Author
- World’s biggest fruit trees flourish in Eden rainforest - 10th September 2020
- Fourth-time lucky Allett Creative Lawn Stripes winner - 10th September 2020
- Start the journey to organic gardening in five easy steps - 10th September 2020