When the season of colds and flu is upon us, we all have a favourite comforting dish that makes us feel better. The Vegetarian Society asked its members and supporters for their go-to culinary hugs and soothers. The replies ranged from hot toddies with ginger and chilli, to stews, spicy curries and hearty soups – there was even a raspberry latte. However one item kept cropping up: people wished they had a comforting noodle broth which could nurse them through the sniffles. So the Vegetarian Society has created a warming ‘Comfort Soup’ recipe packed with goodness.
The society used ingredients previously tested by scientists in a study of noodle soup, which showed that many of these vegetables and herbs were effective in reducing inflammation associated with having a cold.
Give it a try!
1 large onion (150g), finely chopped
3 sticks celery (150g), finely chopped
1 medium carrot (60g), peeled and cut into matchstick size pieces
½ small parsnip (30g), peeled and cut into matchstick size pieces
⅙ small swede (30g), peeled and cut into matchstick size pieces
⅓ small sweet potato (30g), peeled and cut into matchstick size pieces
2 medium cloves garlic (10g), finely chopped
1.75l water (3 pints)
2 bay leaves, dried
1 tsp thyme or mixed herbs (5g), dried
Plenty of freshly ground black pepper
25g spaghetti, dried
Salt to taste
1. Put the onion, celery, parsley stalks, carrot, parsnip, swede, sweet potato, tomatoes or juice, garlic, tofu or Quorn into a large saucepan and cover with 1.75 litres (3 pints) of cold water.
2. Add the bay leaves, thyme or mixed herbs and season generously with black pepper.
3. Bring the pan to boil and simmer on a low heat for 20 minutes.
4. Break the spaghetti into 5cm lengths and add to the soup, cook until tender.
5. Season to taste with salt
6. Garnish with parsley leaves and serve.
A spokesman for the Vegetarian Society said: “Here at the Vegetarian Society, we are passionate about veggie food! We want everyone to know how varied and delicious vegetarian dishes are – and how easy it is to enjoy a veggie lifestyle.”Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
You can unsubscribe at any time.
About the Author
- DAZZLING DAHLIAS AT HELIGAN - 13th August 2021
- National Allotments Week 2021 9 to 15 August - 9th August 2021
- Create a log pile for stag beetles and other wildlife - 21st June 2021