Britain's best guide to growing your own fruit and veg
Author: Anna Pettigrew
Anna Cairns Pettigrew is a photographer, cook and recipe developer and a lover of all things organic. She can usually be found either gardening or cooking up a storm. She lives in the Scottish countryside with her husband, 2 children, 1 dog and 8 chickens!
A simple cake to prepare as a teatime treat, and the halved plums ensure everybody gets a fruity slice.
There’s so much coming through in the garden now that the kitchen is the place to be with all that fresh fruit and veg to enjoy. This month Anna Pettigrew selects fennel, plum and raspberry to tantalise our summer tastebuds.
A delicious and easy one-bowl sponge loaded with juicy blackcurrants
FOR THE SPONGE
• 225g (8oz) unsalted butter, softened, plus a little more for greasing the tin
• 225g (8oz) self-raising flour
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 4 eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
• 225g (8oz) golden caster sugar
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
A quick and easy stuffed pepper recipe, perfect to serve at a barbecue.
• 200g (7oz) red or green lentils
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
• 1 carrot, grated
• 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
• A handful of cherry tomatoes, chopped
• 125ml (4½fl oz) vegetable stock
A super fresh summer salad of sweet melon, apple and tangy goji berries. Serve with grilled fish or chicken.
• 1 melon
• 2 apples
• ½ cucumber
• ½ lemon, juice of
• 2 tbsp goji berries
• 1 bunch mint sprigs, chopped
1. Halve the melon and scoop out the seeds. Cut into cubes and place…
Three simple ingredients are all that is needed to make this smooth and delicious ice cream made with fresh blackcurrants.
• 450g (1lb) blackcurrants
• 175g (6oz) sugar
• 275ml (10fl oz) double cream
1. Reserve 2-3 tbsp whole blackcurrants, set aside. Place the remaining blackcurrants into a sieve set over a mixing bowl and mash with a…
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.